Perth Station to close for rail-sinking work
Perth Station will be closed from 10.30am on Friday, August 17 to last services on Sunday, August 19.
The closure will allow the Fremantle tracks to be repositioned so that work can continue on construction of a tunnel through the rail yard immediately west of the Horseshoe Bridge as part of the Perth City Link rail project.
It will affect the Midland, Fremantle and Armadale-Thornlie lines but not Mandurah-Joondalup.
The main impact will be on the Friday afternoon peak. The Fremantle (v Richmond) AFL game at Patersons Stadium on the Saturday will also be affected.
Replacement buses have been organised, but commuters are being urged to plan ahead to look at alternatives such as cycling, car-pooling, working from home or taking a flex-day on the Friday.
This will be the second time the Fremantle Line has moved. Late last year it was shifted closer to Roe Street; this time it will be moved right across the work site to run close to Wellington Street.
The move frees up a significant amount of space, enabling the Perth City Link Rail Alliance team to continue piling and excavation works for the new Fremantle Line tunnel, demolish and rebuild Platform 9, and finish building the pedestrian underpass which will link all Perth Station platforms with Perth Undergound.
When passengers return to Perth Station on Monday, August 20, a number of platform changes will be in place. The new layout will be in place for about 12 months.
Train impacts - 10.30am Friday, August 17 to first services Monday, August 20
• Fremantle Line will end at West Leederville Station
• Midland Line will end at Claisebrook Station
• Armadale Line will end at Claisebrook Station
• Thornlie Line will close with bus replacement from Cannington Station
• No impact to Mandurah and Joondalup Lines
Replacement bus service
A CAT-style bus service will loop from Claisebrook to West Leederville via Perth Station, with bus replacement stops at:
• Claisebrook Station: Fielder Street
• Perth Station (continuing to West Leederville Station): Roe Street, west of William Street
• City West Station: Roe Street
• West Leederville Station
• City West Station: Harbour Town, Wellington Street
• Perth Station (continuing to Claisebrook Station): Wellington Street, in front of Wellington Street Bus Station
Fremantle v Richmond - Saturday, August 18
The best way to get to and from the game is:
• To/from Leederville Station, a 15-minute walk
• Drive or catch a bus to any of the Fremantle Line stations and get the train to West Leederville Station
After the game, there will be football express bus services taking passengers direct to Claisebrook Station and Perth Station
Media contact: David Hynes 0438 919 548