Perth Airport rail link route released
A preferred route has been determined for the planned rail line to Perth Airport, Transport Minister Troy Buswell said today.
“The State Government has demonstrated its commitment to the development of the airport precinct and associated infrastructure with the $1billion Gateway WA project which encompasses a number of road network improvements to facilitate effective movement of people and freight,” Mr Buswell said.
“We understand people want options when considering how to get to and from the airport and this is the first step in securing a major public transport opportunity.”
The Minister said the planned alignment branched from Bayswater station (Midland line) to the future consolidated Perth Airport terminal. Options eastwards from the airport are also planned.
“Cabinet has approved the reservation of the surface route on land under control of the State and has endorsed ongoing discussions between the Public Transport Authority (PTA) and stakeholders to ensure the route is protected,” he said.
Mr Buswell said the rail line would not only provide public transport to Perth Airport but also improve access to the eastern foothills.
“Perth Airport will continue to experience substantial passenger growth and it is critical transport infrastructure is planned to ensure adequate services are in place to cater for the projected demand,” he said.
This project has been identified in the Public Transport Network Plan as a stage 2 (2021-2031) project and the Government is keen to understand the project’s full scope and cost to determine where it sits in relation to other infrastructure investment priorities.
Details of the route:
- spur from Midland line east of Bayswater station running south-east within Tonkin Highway median as far as Stanton Road
- at a point near Stanton Road, line dives before tunnelling under eastbound lanes of Tonkin Highway
- line then runs towards existing domestic airport site for a station central to the proposed business/industrial park
- from the business park station, running directly towards a consolidated terminal, boring under the two main runways to an integrated station within the terminal area
- alignment continues east-bound within a tunnel to an ‘Airport East’ station in vicinity of High Wycombe-Forrestfield area.
- PTA is developing an Airport Railway Masterplan for consideration by the Government
- Map showing proposed railway extension to Perth Airport is attached