Construction impacts (temporary changes)
- To accommodate extension of the interchange, all of the station’s bus services will operate from the opposite side of the station (Rutland Avenue) during construction.
- Rutland Avenue (northbound lane) between Oats Street and Mercury Street will be closed for approximately three weeks at the start of work to upgrade footpaths so that bus services can operate from Rutland Avenue.
- Once bus services are temporarily relocated to Rutland Avenue, residents living near the station on Rutland Avenue, Mercury Street, and Tuckett Street will experience a significant increase in bus traffic on their streets for a period of about two months.
- On-street public car parking bays on Rutland Avenue and Bank Street will be temporarily reduced during construction.
- Around half of the existing Bank Street passenger car park will be temporarily closed once work begins to extend the bus interchange. Parking in the Rutland Avenue passenger car park will also be temporarily reduced.
Significant traffic management will be in place to safely direct motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians around the work site during different stages of construction. Other impacts (e.g. disruption from noise, dust, vibration, asphalt odour) may also be noticeable to nearby residents during work; these will be minimised wherever possible.
All work is expected to occur within standard construction hours (Monday to Saturday, 7am – 7pm).
- To make way for the enhanced bus facilities, several trees need to be removed from the bus interchange verge on Bank Street.
- Around 12 car bays within the Bank Street passenger car park will be permanently removed to allow the interchange to be extended.
- Several on-street public car parking bays on the western side of Bank Street will be permanently relocated to the eastern side of Bank Street to accommodate bus turning circles from the new interchange exit.