William Street (South) closes Monday April 19 to begin Esplanade station works
Another important stage of city traffic management measures will be introduced on Monday, 19 April to allow the first works associated with building the new Esplanade Station to begin.
From next Monday William Street - south of The Esplanade - will be closed until approximately March 2006.
Traffic will be diverted one way east along The Esplanade and one way south along Barrack Street to facilitate the closure of William Street.
The Public Transport Authority, contractors Leighton Kumagai, the City of Perth, Main Roads WA and emergency services have been working together to produce the traffic management measures to accommodate the upcoming major works.
Traffic modeling indicates that traffic diversions can be accommodated within the city’s existing road network, although some delays can be expected.
Signage and media advertising will keep the public informed about the changes. Details of traffic alterations are as follows:
- William Street south of Mounts Bay Road/ The Esplanade will be closed to general traffic.
- The three southbound traffic lanes on William Street will be diverted along The Esplanade down Barrack Street and along Riverside Drive to enable connection to the freeway. Additionally there will be a designated bus only lane on the west side of William Street.
- Traffic on The Esplanade east of William Street will be eastbound only.
- Barrack Street south of The Esplanade will be southbound only.
- Vehicles turning from The Esplanade intersection with Barrack Street will be able to turn left to head north up Barrack Street or effect a right hand turn to head south into the one way section of Barrack Street.
Pedestrians and Cyclists
- There will be no access to the footpath on the east side of William Street between The Esplanade and Riverside Drive once the road closure of the adjacent section of William Street is affected.
- Cyclists will be able to use the footpath which will become a shared path on the west side of Barrack Street to head into the CBD from the bike path along Riverside Drive
Buses and Parking
- Buses travelling south on William Street, in the western most lane, will connect to the Busport via a new connection to be constructed into the northeastern corner rather than down William Street and under the William Street Bridge.
- The 90deg. parking bays along The Esplanade will be converted into 45deg. parking.
- The existing off peak parking will be retained along the north side of The Esplanade and along Barrack Street