The East Perth Station was upgraded as part of the Perth Stadium Transport Infrastructure project and the PTAs program of Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) upgrades. The upgraded station provides the operational requirements and infrastructure needed to cater for the increased level of patronage at the train station on Perth Stadium event days, as well as making the station DDA compliant.
The upgrade included:
- Increasing in the length of the platforms to accommodate four and six car trains
- Increasing platform shelter
- Replacing the existing pedestrian bridge with a new wider and fully-covered DDA compliant bridge north of its current location
- Increasing access to the concourse via stairs and lifts
- DDA upgrades including resurfacing of the platform, new tactile marking and the installation of four lifts (one at the East Parade side of the station, two that connect to the platform and one at West Parade side)
- Installing a rail cross-over which will provide operational resilience to the Transperth network by providing the ability for new train movements on the Midland Line during disruptions
- Reconfiguring the Public Transport Centre’s West Parade car park to enable the installation of the new lifts and stairs and bike facilities.
The upgrade of East Perth Station is expected to be complete in late-2017, in time for the 2018 AFL season.