Missing links built for Perth's cycling network
The State Government today revealed the blueprint for Perth's cycling network, releasing a map of proposed cycling and pedestrian paths to be constructed over the next four years.
Speaking on Ride2Work Day, Transport Minister Dean Nalder said $27.07 million would be spent on expanding the network of principal shared paths at the following locations:
Fremantle Rail line
- Shenton Park to Loch Street Station
- Grant Street to Cottesloe Station
- Cottesloe to Victoria Street Station
Midland Rail line
- Guildford Bridge to Railway Parade
- Guildford Station to East Street
- East Street to Morrison Road
- Civic Place to Karrinyup Road
- Karrinyup Road to Erindale Road
- Northlink WA
- Malaga Drive interchange
- Gateway WA
- Roe Highway
- Roe 8
- Mitchell Freeway extension.
"The map shows paths will be extended as far north as Hester Avenue in Clarkson and will be closing gaps along the Fremantle and Midland rail lines," Mr Nalder said.
The expansion is part of the Western Australian Bicycle Network Plan 2014-2031 which guides the continued delivery of cycling infrastructure to meet the need for convenient safe cycling routes. This year, the State Government announced a $75 million investment in cycling over four years, which will continue to improve safety and bike network connectivity for all West Australians. This includes $34.4 million for major transport projects and $27.07 million allocated to principal shared paths.
"The growing success of cycling in Western Australia is shown by a 34 per cent increase in the number of cyclists using our cycling and walking paths since 2011," the Minister said.
To view the map, visit www.transport.wa.gov.au
- Over the past seven years, the State Government has invested $112.8 million in cycling networks throughout WA, resulting in 246km of off-road shared paths and 74km of on-road bike lanes
- In 2014-15, the State Government delivered $7.6 million of principal shared paths along the Kwinana and Mitchell freeways and Midland and Fremantle lines