Milestone reached on Aubin Grove station upgrade
- Pad and columns for Aubin Grove Station completed
- Total investment in the rail and road works revised to $120 million
Progress on the Aubin Grove Station and Russell Road upgrade has reached a milestone with the concrete pad and columns for the station completed.
Inspecting works on the site today, Transport Minister Dean Nalder said the combined project cost had been revised to $120 million.
"The scope of the station and Russell Road upgrade has been refined as the Government is delivering a station and transport precinct that, when combined, far exceeds what was originally proposed," Mr Nalder said.
"All the transport elements are intrinsically linked in this precinct. Opportunities were identified to enhance all of these elements including the station, surrounding road network, bridge and freeway capacity."
Last year, the State Government announced the Russell Road bridge would be widened as part of the Aubin Grove Station project. The Australian and State governments are also funding the extension of the Kwinana Freeway widening project three kilometres further southbound from Armadale Road to Russell Road.
"It makes sense to deliver a complete project at the outset. I understand it comes at a cost, however this is the type of smart transport decision the Government is making to ensure a comprehensive integrated transport solution is delivered," the Minister said.
Construction activities are required over three consecutive weekends in June to deliver the projects. The works will have significant impacts on the Kwinana Freeway and the Mandurah Line.
"Some rail and road disruptions are needed so the station building can be constructed, and the pedestrian footbridges and beam spans for the Russell Road Bridge installed," Mr Nalder said.
To safely complete the work, traffic will need to be diverted around part of the Kwinana Freeway and Russell Road and part of the Mandurah Line will be closed.
"The three weekend diversions have been meticulously planned and will save Kwinana Freeway users several months of disruptions over the life of the Aubin Grove and Russell Road upgrade," the Minister said.
- Works include upgrading the Russell Road/Gibbs Road approaches to the interchange, signals from Russell Road into the station car park, bus-only access from Lauderdale Drive into the station, and removing the Lamar Court-Russell Road connection
- Passenger amenities will include public toilets, a kiosk, ticket and add-value machines, public art, a 2,000-bay car park, dedicated drop-off area and bicycle facilities
- Projected patronage of 3,900 boardings at the station on an average weekday
- The State Government is investing $100 million in the Aubin Grove station and the Australian Government is investing $20 million in the Russell Road upgrade